Here we are again with another Friday, the 13th! ….and I wonder who, amongst us is feeling a wee bit apprehensive of this old superstition? …. feeling that sometimes we’re not always in control of our fate …. that life may be more a game of random chance, rather than one of pure skill or talent?
Consider the following:
- Are some people just born lucky?
- Are you often blamed for things that are not your fault?
- Do you believe bad things are going to happen no matter what you may do to stop them?
- Most of the time, do you find it useless attempting to get your own way?
- Do you feel that when good things happen, it’s generally not because of hard work?
- Do you feel that when someone doesn’t like you, there’s very little you can do about it?
- Do you feel most problems will sort themselves out if you simply leave them alone?
- Do you feel when something’s gone wrong, there’s very little you can do to make it right?
- Do you feel that one of the best ways to handle most problems is just not to think about them?
- Did you feel that it was almost useless to bother to do well at school because most of the other kids were cleverer than you?
- Do you feel that you don’t have a lot of choice in deciding who your friends are?
- Have you felt that when people are angry with you, it’s usually for no reason at all?
- Do you think it’s better to be lucky than clever?
If you’ve answered ‘yes’ to more than a few of these (unlucky or lucky!) 13 questions, then maybe your view of life is skewed towards putting greater emphasis on an ‘external locus of control’, where you feel you have little or no control over your destiny, and that it’s simply down to fate or luck you are where you are?
If that is indeed the case and you would welcome the chance of discovering how to shift this focus so that feelings of fear, anxiety, helplessness, depression, low self-esteem or even poor physical health can be improved, then please get in touch.
Taking control of your life may feel a scary prospect if you’ve never had it, but it’s also amazingly liberating and truly empowering once you get a grip of how it works! We urge you to give it a go!