Headed for a heatwave
Off to Monte Carlo next week, so here’s my list for keeping cool in the sun!
- Wear loose, lightweight, light-coloured, cotton clothing.
- Drink lots of fluid – aim for 6/8 glasses a day – even more if it’s really hot.
- Reduce intake of drinks with caffeine in them and remember, alcohol causes dehydration.
- Eat normally, even if appetite feels suppressed – we need to replace the salt we’re losing in the heat.
- Have lots of salads and fruit as these contain water.
- Direct exposure to the sun is vital for our bodies to produce vitamin D, however, steer clear of it during the hottest part of the day: 11am to 3pm.
- Wear a hat with a large brim, keep your shoulders covered and stay in the shade as much as possible.
- Get rid of those boring, black umbrellas and replace them with a multitude of multi-coloured parasols!
- Protect your eyes from the glare of the sunshine – always wear sunglasses with a CE mark, UV400 label or 100% UV protection. Speak to your optician about prescription sunglasses or reactolite lenses.
- Carry a bottle of water whenever you go out, especially when travelling by car or public transport.
- Splash your face with tepid water or place a damp face cloth on the back of your neck to cool down.
- If you’re worried, check with your GP or pharmacist if extreme heat could affect your health or any regular medication you may be taking.
Bon voyage, everyone – it’s now off to Nice, then Monaco and Monte Carlo or bust!!!!